Front Yard Update

18 May

This a continuation from this post.

For whatever reason I wasn’t able to get on to WordPress Wednesday to update the front yard progress but several changes have taken place this week.

Monday I headed down to Alpine Gardens in Perry, UT to check what they had for indigenous plants.

Warning!  Papa Bear should NOT read this next section and should proceed to the paragraph starting with the ** .
Although they aren’t all indigenous to Utah, I did end up with 12 plants that are sun loving and drought tolerant.  It’s kind of interesting when the main criteria your searching for is, “thrives under poor conditions”, but we now have 3 sagebrush, 3 different types of Yarrow (Achillea,  Moonshine, and Woolly ), 2- May Night Sage, 1- Pineleaf Beardtongue, 1- Blue Fescue, 1- Dwarf Rubber Rabbitbrush and 1- Delosperma Ice Plant.

**Since a coworker of PB’s has a family farm, I headed out there on Tuesday to see what they had for tall native grasses.  Unfortunately, I was only able to dig up two clumps of grass because what the cows hadn’t eaten, the family had burned to the ground.  I did manage to lift a nice old tree branch from the pasture though.

When I first though of changing the yard over to rock, I think I had envisioned a couple of pretty large rocks/boulders being in the mix somewhere but between the yard rock and river bed rock, I’ve become rocked out and nixed the idea altogether.  At some point it occurred to me that an old silvery tree trunk or big branch might look cool though.  Maybe break up all that rock look with something different?

Besides, fitting a large boulder or two in the van would have been harder than this old log…
And on the drive home from the farm, I may or may not have stopped off along some deserted country road to dig up some more grasses…

The van had a very nice “outdoorsy” smell for awhile but between the log and the grasses, I don’t want to even think about how many bugs and spiders might be still crawling around in our van.

When I couldn’t get any blog action happening on Wednesday morning, I spent the rest of the day planting.  Thursday was spent adding more rock to the dry riverbed and distributing the last of the main yard rock.

As of today, this is what the neighbors now get to look at.
It’s been raining here all morning but since it stopped about 1/2 hour ago, I ran out and took these.

At some point, I’d like to plant some more grasses along the riverbed.  Especially towards the top of the riverbed up by the house.

When the river rock was delivered, it was recommended that we spray the rock with concrete sealer to keep the riverbed looking “wet”.  I plan to do that this weekend.  I think it will help create a nice contrast to the main rock and allow the riverbed really stand out.

Here are a few pics from the front door earlier this morning while it was still raining.

The new plants are hard to see in these pictures but in person, it looks a lot better.
Hopefully by the end of summer, and a bit of growth, they’ll make more of a statement.

I’d say aside from a bit more touch up work to the riverbed and planting a few more grasses here and there, I’m gonna call this front yard project done for now.   I’ll come back and update with some progress pictures down the road.  I’ll also update you on how the concrete sealer looks and whether it’s worth doing.

It’s so nice to look out the front door now and NOT see weeds…and cringe.

About these ads

9 Responses to “Front Yard Update”

1. over the pond May 18, 2012 at 11:54 pm #

All your hard work looks stunning. Give yourself a very large pat on the back. See you soon.

2. mommy dearest May 20, 2012 at 6:43 am #

My back is hurting just looking at the pictures. It looks great —- think of all the mowing you won’t have to do.

3. PB May 20, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Well done MB…..

• marcia & stephen west March 8, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Might you share how much it cost to complete your beautiful front yard. We’re in CA so we’ll ad 50% more. Thank you so much for your consideration.

• Mama Bear March 8, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

Hello Marcia & Stephen,
        To start with, I used 4 rolls of weed block which cost approximately $120 total. Between the river rock and the main yard rock, the total cost of the rock was $684.37. That included the $200 delivery fee. Every company I checked with had a minimum tonnage for delivery and since we weren’t ordering enough rock to meet the minimum, they were all going to charge $100 a truck load to make up their losses.

In the beginning, I bought 12 drought tolerant plants from a local nursery. They cost $75. This past fall I drove out to the country and dug up approximately 22 clumps of various grasses, sagebrush and flowers so they cost nothing other than the gas.
        So all told, our front yard cost about $879.37 give or take a dollar or two.

Considering our front yard is entirely southern exposure and was fried looking by the end of summer, I’m hoping what we save in money by NOT watering it now will make up for what we spent.

I hope this helped?
        I would love to see how your project turns out!

• marcia & stephen west March 8, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

Help it did indeed! That total cost probably won’t even cover the rocks needed. Nonetheless, we now have some idea as to where to begin.

We live near the ocean, so we’re going for a beachy vibe. We’ll use pampas, papyrus, blue grass, etc. to make it feel coastal. However, you old log sure would work as driftwood – lucky you to live where you do to have access to nature. Our driftwood is scant, if at all, nowadays.

Your pictures were the only ones we could relate to when doing a dry river bed search on Google images.

Thank you for your response.
          Stephen & Marcia West
          Torrance, CA

• Mama Bear March 9, 2013 at 8:45 pm #

Wow…that expensive, huh? I think if I were doing a beachy vibe, I would consider putting down sand instead of rock and then put a dry river bed through that.

It would probably be less expensive too.
            Maybe if we ever make it back out to CA, we can bring you a big ole log!

Good luck with your landscaping!

• marcia & stephen west March 9, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

If we were to use sand, we’d have the biggest cat litter box ever! No, we’ll have to stick to pebbles, rocks, and then a few strategically placed boulders. We’ll then add the plants to make it appear as though the waves just washed up towards the hill or bluff. We’re also considering different elevations throughout the yard.

Thanks for following up – and anytime you’re in CA, we’re in Torrance just 12 blocks from the ocean.
              Stephen & Marcia

4. Evil Nell May 21, 2012 at 11:44 am #

Wow – lookin’ great! I can’t believe how fast you work. So when you comin’ over? LOL