This a continuation from this post.
For whatever reason I wasn’t able to get on to WordPress Wednesday to update the front yard progress but several changes have taken place this week.
Monday I headed down to Alpine Gardens in Perry, UT to check what they had for indigenous plants.
Warning! Papa Bear should NOT read this next section and should proceed to the paragraph starting with the ** .
Although they aren’t all indigenous to Utah, I did end up with 12 plants that are sun loving and drought tolerant. It’s kind of interesting when the main criteria your searching for is, “thrives under poor conditions”, but we now have 3 sagebrush, 3 different types of Yarrow (Achillea, Moonshine, and Woolly ), 2- May Night Sage, 1- Pineleaf Beardtongue, 1- Blue Fescue, 1- Dwarf Rubber Rabbitbrush and 1- Delosperma Ice Plant.
**Since a coworker of PB’s has a family farm, I headed out there on Tuesday to see what they had for tall native grasses. Unfortunately, I was only able to dig up two clumps of grass because what the cows hadn’t eaten, the family had burned to the ground. I did manage to lift a nice old tree branch from the pasture though.
When I first though of changing the yard over to rock, I think I had envisioned a couple of pretty large rocks/boulders being in the mix somewhere but between the yard rock and river bed rock, I’ve become rocked out and nixed the idea altogether. At some point it occurred to me that an old silvery tree trunk or big branch might look cool though. Maybe break up all that rock look with something different?
Besides, fitting a large boulder or two in the van would have been harder than this old log…
And on the drive home from the farm, I may or may not have stopped off along some deserted country road to dig up some more grasses…
When I couldn’t get any blog action happening on Wednesday morning, I spent the rest of the day planting. Thursday was spent adding more rock to the dry riverbed and distributing the last of the main yard rock.
When the river rock was delivered, it was recommended that we spray the rock with concrete sealer to keep the riverbed looking “wet”. I plan to do that this weekend. I think it will help create a nice contrast to the main rock and allow the riverbed really stand out.
I’d say aside from a bit more touch up work to the riverbed and planting a few more grasses here and there, I’m gonna call this front yard project done for now. I’ll come back and update with some progress pictures down the road. I’ll also update you on how the concrete sealer looks and whether it’s worth doing.
It’s so nice to look out the front door now and NOT see weeds…and cringe.